Sunday, October 23, 2005

UFTS: Step 2

2. Thematic Arguement

This is simple: What's my point? What do I want to say? What is my suggestion to people for how to live a better life, or get more joy out of their life?

a. Point
This is what I believe is a successful way no live life, and why.

b. Counterpoint
This is the opposite perspective. The more articulately and passionately I argue this point of view, the more convincing my Thematic Conclusion will be.

Also, the better the arguement for BOTH sides, the better the drama, and the less predictable the outcome of the story.

c. Thematic Conclusion
I'm stealing this term from the StoryWeaver program. This is where the arguement lands at the end of the movie. This is the resolution of the Thematic Arguement.

NOTE: Many authors will save the clarification of their Theme until after their first draft. But knowing my underlying "message" is part of what excites me about a story. PLUS, if I know what my Thematic Arguement is I can include it into my character design, all-but-guarenteeing dramatic conflict -- or at least the potential for dramatic conflict -- with any character combination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home